Tuesday, March 04, 2008

WMDC woes

It's almost a year now since I started using Vista Ultimate. The new OS came on the ASUS VX2 I bought last year and I have found that the overall experience has been very positive. There are a few minor snags like the apparent sluggishness in the couple of minutes after Windows boots and WMDC. This is my major gripe with Vista - I never know when one of my WM5 or WM6 devices will connect or not. One of the quick and dirty solutions I have found is to uninstall the device network adapter, disconnect the device and reconnect. To do this, go to the Control Panel, open the System applet and select the Device Manager link. Under the "Network adapters" tree node, locate the Windows Mobile device and uninstall it. Remove the device and connect it again. WMDC should recognize the device again.

There is an alternative that I have not tested yet and was pointed to me by Mark Arteaga on the PocketPC FAQ site. Anyway this should be an easier experience, especially for people like me who need to connect to everything, from Pocket PC 2003 devices to the latest WM6 devices throwing in a few bizzare Windows CE 5 GPS devices in between...

No comments: