Monday, March 13, 2006

First step to Sync

Today, I published the first sample for a new product - Data Port Sync. This is a .NET component that handles most of the chores required to synchronize a Microsoft Access database with either SQL CE 2.0 or SQL Mobile. It's ultimate purpose is to help developers build their own customized synchronization solutions and builds on three fundamental components:
  1. A Microsoft Access data tracker - prepares a database for tracking and tracks changes made to the database. Tracking is achieved by adding some control tables and columns to the tracked tables.
  2. SQL CE / Mobile data tracker - uses the same data tracking algorithms to track changes made to a mobile database.
  3. Data transport - building on DesktopSqlCe, I'm adding some direct access features for Access databases (so that .NET developers don't have to bother with INSERT commands).
The challenge I'm facing now is to build a number of samples that will cover all the bases, from simple database export and import, to complex merging procedures. So, I'm spending most of my time writing a C# object model to wrap my C++ code, but then I'm starting to get used to it.

Here is the first sample: an Access to SQL CE 2.0 / SQL Mobile export tool. You will need to download the latest version of DesktopSqlCe (soon to be renamed).

Enjoy.

No comments: