Saturday, September 23, 2006

Data Port Console

I am in the early stages of development of Data Port Console, the successor to SQL CE Console. After looking at the very long list of UI design errors I decided to use the DockPanel Suite from Weifen Luo. Most of the database editing code is being reused from the old product, but packaged in a much more compelling user interface with tabbed windows and docking panels.

Combine this with the new .NET Framework 2.0 features such as a better data grid, and I am actually getting very good results and very fast. Looks like .NET is actually delivering its promise: fast time-to-market with a solid framework to support your application.

P.S.: Yes, I know it hogs memory and the CPU with what some native code purists would call needless cycles. But I'm not sure I would be able to do this as fast as I am doing now with either MFC or WTL. Anyway, the core of the code - remote database access - is still native code. The more I think of it, the more I like this combination: native code for the performance bits and managed code for the UI and managing the user environment. A killer!

No comments: