Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Data Port Sync Released

Version 1.0.500 of Data Port Sync has been released. I will be adding more samples to the code to better illustrate what is an arguably complex piece of software. If you want to take a look at how the whole process works, I advise you to start by the JetSync sample (only available in C# but I'm porting it to VB). This sample does the whole synchronization process for one database:
  1. Prepares the Access database for synchronization by adding the tracking columns and tables
  2. Exports the database to the device in SDF format (either SQL CE 2.0 or SQL Mobile)
  3. Tracks the changes on both ends and
  4. Merges them according to a very simple rule: the Access database always wins

There is another C# sample (Prepare) that you may use to prepare and "unprepare" Access databases and I have used it together win an end-user sample that I am also shipping (this time it's a VB sample that I will port to C#) that does steps 2 to 4 and is supposed to act as a template for a custom solution.

All thoughts and suggestions are most welcome for this product.

No comments: